Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's 2:14 AM and I am finally starting a blog.

More than a few people have suggested that I should start a blog. I have resisted doing so up until this point for many reason but mostly because I have other important things to do (facebook of course), and I am not sure my thoughts are compelling enough to gather an audience (maybe my mom will show up).

What is my impetus for starting a blog at 2:14 AM on a Sunday morning? The netflix fairy delivered Michael Moore's documentary "Sicko" this afternoon and having nothing better to do tonight, we watched it. Talk about good timing. Over this past week I have been thinking about health care reform and about our government's responsibility for its citizens. Late in the week I reluctantly accepted the idea that the "Public Option" for health care insurance had lost the fight without landing a punch. It seems that the Public Option is going to be sacrificed in the the name of bipartisanship. After watching "Sicko" and seeing the disparity between our health care system and that our others around the world, my heart cries out over the injustice of our health care system. Abandoning the Public Option is not acceptable. In fact the Public Option may be the only just solution.

I know many of my friends will dismiss me for watching and promoting a Micheal Moore movie and there are some valid criticisms of the movie, but I ask you this: in his movie Moore takes up the cause of the down-trodden and oppressed, when you scoff and criticize, who's side are you taking? Empire has many sizes and forms.

So what can I do about it? Lying in bed tonight, I pondered what I might do to help change the course of a multi-billion dollar industry dead set on the status quo. I plan on writing my senators and congressman, but I felt compelled to do more. So like the widow and the unjust judge, I will plea for justice in our health care system until the powers that be relent. Hopefully someone is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment